Thursday, October 15, 2009

Panasonic TC-P50S1 Fantastic Picture for the Price

I purchased this TV back in March and have been holding off on the review until the TV was properly broken in (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1128487 -- the first parargraph in the first post is the procedure) then calibrated to my liking. I must say I have been very pleased with the time I have spent with it. I was a bit worried when I read the CNET review about the color inaccuracy, but I think mine looks great. The picture is crystal clear and motion is smooth. Blu-Rays on the PS3 look awesome. While watching all the dark scenes in Spiderman 3, I can easily make out the details in the shadows and black clothing. This set really handles black well. I also have no complaints looking at flesh tones and whites. All the colors are vibrant and look spot on.

My primary TV is a Sharp Aquos I purchased 3 years ago, and this set blows it away for half the price I spent on the Sharp. I think that people are really pushing the G10 series and that is fine, but for $200 less, this 50S1 looks fantastic and I have no regrets that I purchased this set. My only suggestion would be to check out the above link and spend the time to properly break-in the set. It is not very difficult. All the phosphors break-in evenly and you only need to calibrate once. Trust me, this set looked a TON better after the 100 hour break-in period.

The sound and remote are passable, but not terrible. I think most people have surround sound now anyway. These are the only 2 things not fantastic about this TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment