Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Panasonic TC-P50S1 For most people, this set represents the best value for money of any 50" class HDTV

I decided on the P50S1 after about 250 hours of daily HDTV research for the past 3 or 4 months, in which I debated everything from plasma vs. LCD to screen size to features to ease of use to durability.

The 2009 Panasonic plasmas use the new "Neo-PDP" panels, which I can tell you personally having lifted both are much lighter than an equal size 2008 model plasma. The manual prudently warns against a single person lifting the set, but I did so myself with no problem.

This model was initially sold on Amazon at the initial MSRP of $1799, but has now dropped to a street price of under $1400 one month after being released. Placed my order on Wednesday the 8th, scheduled delivery for the following Wednesday the 15th. Was very surprised to get a phone call from Amazon's freight carrier, CEVA, asking if they could deliver the TV on the 11th. Four days early, and on a Saturday no less. The CEVA driver carried the box into my apartment, unpacked it, let me inspect the TV, assembled the stand, put the TV on the stand, and let me hook up the power and HDMI connection to turn the TV on, all before I signed for it.

Picture quality in the Cinema preset is already outstanding to my eyes. However I'm sure color accuracy will improve once I tweak some settings as posted at [..]. The Panasonic 2009 S series, G10 series, and V10 series all use the same physical panels, so the only differences between them are software/firmware, and extras like the VGA input and VieraCast on the other series. If you don't need the extras and are willing to tweak your picture settings, the S series is the best value for money out there.

If I really nitpick, the only negative I can come up with is the glossy black finish shows dust very easily, but that is true of most any HDTV currently sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment